When I was a little girl, my mother’s mother came to stay with our family about 6 months out of the year. I have many fond memories of my grandmother, and thought I’d share just a few:
1. At 1:00 pm EVERY WEEK DAY (I may be off on the time, but I think that’s correct) EVERYTHING STOPPED! It was time for Grandma to watch As the World Turns!
2. Whenever our family would go to the mall, my grandmother would ALWAYS buy our family SPECIAL TREATS from the bakery!
3. When grandma would leave to go back to Illinois, she would always leave my sister and I a special gift. She would leave some dusting powder or the remaining perfume in one of her many bottles. I remember feeling SO SPECIAL and BEAUTIFUL – not to mention how excited I would be to check her room (the guest room) after she left!
4. Grandma’s birthday was on Christmas Day. I remember my mother always bought her TWO dresses. One she would wrap in Christmas wrapping paper and one she would wrap in Birthday wrapping paper.
5. I remember all of us searching HIGH AND LOW for Grandma’s favorite perfume – I can’t remember why we had such a difficult time locating it, but I will ALWAYS remember the name!
6. My grandmother baked homemade bread – and it was DELICIOUS! I can still remember the smell of fresh bread baking in the kitchen every couple of weeks.
7. I remember our family taking Grandma to the airport to go back to Illinois. In those days, Patrick Henry Airport in Newport News had a viewing deck where you could watch the planes take off and land.
I will always treasure the memories of my youth!